Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Oral Detox: How to get a Kleen bill of health

I purposefully omitted the practice of oil pulling last week when I did my post on coconut oil because of its mystifying and sometimes controversial reputation. I thought it deserved a full length post to help clarify everything you need to know about this ancient practice. Many people find it mystifying because they might be aware that it exists, but are completely unsure how to properly implement it into their daily routine. Moreover, insufficient scientific studies on oil pulling have given it something of a bad rep among the skeptics (ahem, modern medicine!) which has lead many to doubt its efficacy.

So I decided to launch my own mini-investigation on the efficacy of oil pulling, complete with a highly scientific experiment in which I actually deposit the oil into my mouth and swish it with everythang I've got.

The purpose of oil pulling is to improve your oral health by removing plaque and toxins without harming your gums or teeth. Essentially, this works because like dissolves like (I know, we all slept through Chemistry class), but don't think oil pulling should replace your teeth brushing. You'll still definitely want to follow up with a solid brushing and flossing (if you're into that). Feel free to ditch the Listerine though -- oil pulling will give you the same whitening effects while also improving your tooth sensitivity!

So, now I will give you a rundown of my little experiment today:

1) Put 1-2 tsp. of coconut oil into your mouth (pleasant taste, funky texture). You can either pre-liquefy it or allow it to do so in your mouth. I went with the latter (microwaves are creepy and stovetops take too long!).

2) Swish it, swish it real good! Shoot for 10 minutes, but gradually work up to 15-20. DO NOT EXCEED 20 minutes, as the toxins may start to re-release into your body. I was expecting this to be way worse than it actually was. I thought I would be doing good to make it to 5 minutes, but I made it to 15! Needless to say, I was decidedly impressed. And I LOVE that there was none-uh-dat burn that Listerine so kindly offers.

3) Spit into the trash, not the sink/toilet! The mixture will be pretty toxic so you don't want to release all those icky toxins back into our circulating water supply. You might be surprised at how toxic your insides are, so please, don't share with the rest of us. Sharing is not always caring, folks.

4) Rinse and brush (and floss)! Warm water is best for rinsing, fluoride-free toothpaste is best for not reintroducing any more toxins, and floss is just, well, good I suppose (Grammy knows best!).

**Supposedly, this is most detoxifying when done in the morning on an empty stomach before breakfast, but if nights are when you do your personal care routine, then go for it. Whatever will make it happen more consistently will ultimately determine your success.

Need more convincing? Here goes...

1) Fights oral bacteria, plaque, gingivitis, and micro-organisms

2) Improves skin, particularly for those with skin conditions

3) Alleviates arthritis and joint pain

4) Reduces frequency and intensity of headaches, particularly of the migraine variety

5) Balances hormones and helps with hormonal issues

6) Fights infections

7) Boosts liver function through cleansing

8) Improves digestion

9) Healthier gums, whiter teeth, a dewy glow... what's not to love?

Proponents claim that if our oral health is an indication of our heart health, isn't it at least possible (even likely) that it's related to all of these other areas of our body? Personally, I say, "Why the heck not?" It's economical, easy, effective and sort of exciting when you get to thinking about all of the possible ways you're Kleening out your body and giving your whole system a bit of a reboot. If nothing else, do it for the pure vanity of having a brighter smile. If the eyes are the windows into the soul, then the smile must be the window into the heart. Oh, wait...

--Keely

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Keely, I read a book on this about a year or so ago but never really tried it. Thought about it yesterday actually but couldn't remember the details.Now I have a mini-guide.

    ReplyDelete